Rural Water and Food Security
Problems and drivers
Water usage for food production constitutes a significant part of the water usage in many countries. It is important to understand access to sufficient rural water can ensure the future food production while at the same time also ensuring that there will be sufficient water available for other economic purposes.
Both China and the EU have expressed interest in ensure a long term balance in the amount of water available for food production in order to ensure that this will not be adversely affected by water shortages, neither that unsound water usage in the food production will not lead to water shortages for other purposes.
The overall objective of Focus Area on Rural Water and Food Security is to improve the livelihoods and water security of the rural population and achieve an integrated, sustainable and economically efficient use of surface water and groundwater for food production in rural areas in China and Europe.
- Contribute to an enabling environment of policies, legislation and financing improving the water security of the rural population and achieving an integrated, sustainable and economically efficient use of surface water and groundwater in rural areas in China and Europe
- Analyse existing and new water policies to / and make them operational in enabling legislation, government regulation, financing mechanisms, implementation strategies and programs that:
– Ensure sustainable withdrawals and supply of freshwater to address water scarcity
– Promote equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water in rural area
– Increase water-use efficiency in food production
- Analyse the water – food security nexus at local, regional and global scales
- Create and implement co-lead programs and projects, which integrate governance, research and business development while focusing on taking research and innovation to the market in pilot and demonstration projects
- Networks for government to government exchanges, research and business development
Links to other Co-lead Programs
The Focus Area will be implemented within the CEWP Co-Lead Programmes:
- Groundwater Management and Rural Water Supply (Denmark – Shandong Province)
- Irrigation Management (Spain – To be confirmed)..
Mr. Bjørn Kaare Jensen, firstname.lastname@example.org